PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Fresh Quinoa Salad


Hi Friends!

Summer has finally (!) arrived here in Wisconsin and I couldn't be happier!  I heart summer.  I love sunshine and water and gardening and camping and campfires in the backyard and early sunrises and late sunsets.  Oh, summer!  You're the best!  I also find it easier to eat healthier in the summer, don't you?  I am counting down the days until our farmer's market opens (15!) and next week our first box from the farmer's co-op will arrive on our front porch (yahoo!).  My own garden is coming along, too.  The strawberry plants have flowers and I almost have enough spring mix to make a salad.

While looking for new recipes that incorporate fresh fruit and veggies, I ran across one for a Sprouted Bean Trio Salad from this fabulous blog.  I knew I wanted to give it a try.  Well, 4 stores later (seriously!), I still couldn't find the sprouted beans Jo-Anna talked about in her recipe.  On the plus side, I got to spend a whole big bunch of time in the health food isles at 4 different stores.  And  I met some very nice people while searching for those sprouted beans.   : )  Finally, I just made the executive decision to swap out the Sprouted Bean Trio for Quinoa. Have you tried Quinoa (keen-wa)?  It seems all new and hip, but it's actually been around for 5000 years, since the "mighty Inca civilization of South America" (according to the back of the box).  When Quinoa is cooked, it kind of resembles a circular rice, but it's actually a grain that is packed with protein.  And it's a wonderful, healthy base for a salad!

Here's the recipe to the one I made above:

Fresh Quinoa Salad
(adapted from Jo-Anna's recipe)

1C Quinoa (cook per box directions)
2/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup cilantro, (Jo-Anna used mint, but the Terlap's love cilantro!)
3 green onions, chopped
2/3 cup chopped purple cabbage
2/3 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup cucumbers in chunks
1/2 cup red or yellow peppers
4 Tbl. olive oil
3 Tbl. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp cumin 
salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a salad bowl and toss.  (And yes...I used fresh lemons, parsley and cilantro--it's totally worth it!).

Thanks for the inspiration, Jo-Anna!  This one is definitely going in my summer recipe rotation!

Enjoy!

XO,

Vicki


PS  I'm linking up with the fabulous Heather over at  Life Made Lovely!




5 comments:

  1. Oooooh! Looks so delish! We love quinoa, so I'll have to try this too! Thanks for the shout-out! Lovely blog BTW! New follower!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so YUM! i love quinoa. must try this

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! We love quinoa around here, and our cilantro in the garden is begging to be eaten! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, i'm intrigued by this. quinoa isn't my favorite, but maybe i need to give it another chance. it sure is good for you. and i'm a firm believer that lemon + cilantro can transform just about anything.

    ReplyDelete