PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 15, 2011

Confession #57

Hi Friends--

It's confession time. 

Yesterday I borrowed Amy's minivan so that I could take the girlie-girls and their friends to the movies.  I was tooling around town running some errands and stopped by the bank.  When I came out, Amy's van wouldn't start.  I turned the key:  click. click. click.  I turned it again:  nothing.  I immediately began to panic.  John is out of town this week.  Without John, I didn't know what to do.  I called Amy to see if she had AAA.  She didn't answer.  I began to sweat.  Buckets.  Even though it was 3:00 in the afternoon and I was perfectly safe, I began to freak out.  I literally did not know what to do.  Luckily, Amy called me right back.  She wasn't phased at all.  She told me she'd be right over to give me a jump.  After I hung up, I tried to start it one more time and it turned over.  I called her back, thanked her, and cancelled her service call.

My little panic at the bank really got me thinking about how much I count on John for.  I literally go through life knowing that John will be able to rescue me from pretty much any sticky situation I get myself into.  Stuck in a snowbank?  Call John.  Printer not working?  Call John.  Flat tire?  Yup.  Call John.  The problem is, sometimes John isn't in town, and I'm afraid that my lack of know-how is eventually going to bite me in the butt.  I secretly want to be more like Amy, who knows how to use power tools and jump dead batteries.  Heck, I don't even know how to start the lawnmower...and don't even get me started on the snow blower.  That thing scares the heck out of me.  I read all these blogs about women who own their own safety glasses and build their own beds.  I'm not sure I really want to go that far, but I do what to feel confident the next time I have a dead battery.

So, in honor of the Dead Minivan Battery Scare of 2011, I've decided I'm going to compile a list of things I want to learn how to do before the end of the year.  And then I'm going to get to work and learn some new things.  Scary things. 

Here's what I've come up with so far:

1.  Jump a dead battery
2.  Put on a spare tire
3.  Cut the grass
4.  Grill a perfect steak
5.  Back the boat up into the water
6.  Load the boat back onto the trailer.

Whew.  I think that's enough for now.  If I master all of that, I will feel pretty darn proud of myself.   Want to join in on the fun?  Let me know what you'd like to learn how to do before the end of the year.  We can cheer each other on!

Here's to learning new things!

XO,

Vicki


No comments:

Post a Comment