PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Card-Carrying Member

Hi Friends!

I have a confession, and I'm not going to lie, for those of you who love and know me the best, this is probably going to come as a bit of a shock. 

Brace yourselves:  I have somehow managed to become a card-carrying member of the United States Bowling Congress.

I know!!  Believe me, no one is more shocked at this turn of events than me! Who knew you could actually be a USBC member when your average is only 42?!? 

I wish I was kidding.  About the 42 average that is. 

But I'm not.

I really am that bad at bowling.

I'm so bad that perfect strangers (no lie!), and members of the opposing teams (often) feel compelled to interrupt their games to come over and give me pointers.  One night it was so bad that the manager of the bowling alley came over and offered me free passes if I'd come in and practice between league nights.

No joke.

Wisconsin folks are raised from the cradle on the three "B"s:  bratwurst, beer and bowling. (For the record, I wish that Green Bay Packers started with a "B";  that would have made my list complete!!)  I, however, grew up in the Chicago suburbs and bowling was not a part of my upbringing.  I can seriously count on one hand the number of times I went bowling as a child.  Bowling just hasn't been a part of my life.  Even so, when Amy (you knew there had to be a reason for this madness, right?) suggested John and I join her couple's bowling league, I actually thought it would be a fun activity we could all do together. 

Oh, it's fun alright, for everyone except me.   It's always fun when you actually knock down some pins over the course of 3 straight games.  Unfortunately, when you're average is 42, there's not a lot of pin-knocking-down-action occurring throughout the night.

I try to be a good sport.  I really do.  I try each and every suggestion that comes my way.  I've tried walking from the back dots, and the closer dots.  I've worked on uncurling my index finger and relaxing my hand.  I've tried taking deep, cleansing breaths and squaring my shoulders before I release the ball.  I've focused on the close arrows and the far-away arrows, and I've worked on my follow-through.  I even practice in front of a mirror in my off-time.* 

Still, my average hovers at around 46.

Something's got to give.

I've decided it must be the shoes.  Clearly, one can not even think about becoming a bowling goddess without the right shoes.  (Can I get an "Amen," Christy?)

When Amy asked me what I wanted for my birthday from the Bible Study gals, I did not hesitate.  I asked for some bowling shoes.   After scouring the web for "cute women's bowling shoes" I came up with the beauties above.  Hot pink patent leather?  Yes, please!

I can't believe I'm going to admit this, but I'm actually feeling a bit giddy and hoping that my new cute bowling shoes will arrive before the next big league night.

I am positive they will turn my game around.  If not, maybe people will be so busy admiring my cute new bowling shoes that they won't have time to notice all my gutter balls.  : )

A girl can dream, right?


XO,
Vicki

*Complete and total lie.  But this was a suggestion from one of my many coaches.

PS  Want your own pair?  You can order them (here).

No comments:

Post a Comment