PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, November 14, 2011

Happy Day Project, Days 6 & 7


"Stay where you are. Find your own Calcutta. Find the sick, the suffering and the lonely right there where you are -- in your own homes and in your own families,  in your workplaces and in your schools. You can find Calcutta all over the world, if you have the eyes to see. Everywhere, wherever you go, you find people who are unwanted, unloved, uncared for, just rejected by society -- completely forgotten, completely left alone."
— Mother Teresa (via thirdworld)
Hi Friends!
Happy Day week officially ended yesterday, but I didn't complete the last two days until today.  On Saturday the prompt was, "Thank Someone in Service to Others,"  which I predicted would translate into chocolate chip cookies for the fire department, and it did.  Today Emily and I dropped off some homemade goodness over at the station house.

I rank firemen up there with those in the military.  Both jobs involve risks to keep others safe.  Yay for firemen and women!

Sunday's prompt was "Blessings Bags," and I've got to be honest, I didn't know what a "blessing bag" was, so I Googled it.   Turns out, "Blessing Bags" are bags full of necessities you put together for the homeless.  Okie-dokie.  I decided to head over to the Dollar Store and load up on all kinds of things I thought someone without a home might need (see picture above).  I included a few small food items, along with toothpaste and a couple of toothbrushes, cough drops, shampoo, deodorant, a first aide kit, some soap and hand sanitizer.  I loaded Emily in the car and off we went to make a difference.  The only problem was, we couldn't find anyone to give the basket to.  I know this is going to sound horrible, but I have no idea where homeless people hang out around here.  I know there are plenty of homeless folks in WI (I looked it up:  between 29,000 to 34,000), but we seriously couldn't find anyone out.  So, we decided to bring our basket to the Emergency Shelter of the Fox Valley. The nice people there were happy to take our basket.  I hope it makes a difference to someone.

This Happy Day project has been amazing in so many ways.  I'm so glad I stumbled upon it last week.  I'm thinking this should be a yearly project in the Terlap house.

XO,

Vicki

PS  You can read about days 4 & 5 here, day 3 here, and days 1 & 2 here 

2 comments:

  1. totally awesome. what a great way to give your blessing bag away! still driving around with mine, hoping to see my regular guy in the next few weeks, or whoever else God might bring my way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your winning the happy day loot!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete