PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, February 18, 2013

Homework {Flash}

 
 Hi Friends!

Tomorrow is my last photography class--already!  I have learned so much in the past 6 weeks.  I am no longer afraid to shoot in manual (hooray!).  I still have a long way to go, so don't be calling me to take your wedding photos just yet, but I've definitely made some progress.  This week was all about using flash, which I guess is super important, but after using only natural light for the first 5 weeks, I was kind of reluctant to flip on the flash.  Plus, Emily had a band concert last Tuesday night, so I had to leave class early, and I missed most of the lesson.  No worries, though, I just pretended I knew what I was doing.
 John told me he'd come along on my picture-taking adventure (yay!), so I took full advantage of the situation and led him to the antique mall.  I could spend hours just poking around in the antique mall, and I knew the wonky lighting would require a flash.  John actually made it all the way around the mall with me (what a trooper!).  I loved it when he pointed out things he knew I'd probably like to photograph, like the old street signs above.
 It was great to have him along, because I seriously couldn't tell if my flash was going off. Is that normal?  I'd take a picture and then have to glance at him for confirmation.
Apparently, using a flash changes all the rules about settings, because I had to fool around quite a bit to get good exposures with it on.
I guess like everything else photography-related, it just takes practice (although I'm sure that lecture I missed would have explained some of the mysteries).
 It might have also explained how to get rid of the light bouncing off the subject.  Try as I might, I couldn't figure it out.  I think I took 25 pictures of that cash register, just trying to get a good angle.
As always, going antiquing reminds me of my dad and all the good times we've shared together poking around in antiques stores over the years.  Hey, Dad, look what I found:
 It's cute, but definitely not as cute as the pink one.  I also spied this shake maker like the one we saw at Blackburn:
Too bad it was $125--without the cups!  One day...  : )

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's critique and having a chance to ask some questions.  We're also taking a field trip to our teacher's studio--fun!

Hooray for fun homework adventures with John!

XO,

Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment