PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, August 12, 2013

Dear 2013 Big Pigeons

Dear Pigeons,

Yesterday was our last day together, and today I am in full-on, "I can't believe it's over mode."  Summer 2013's Pigeons will go down as one of my favorite groups, ever.  I loved the mix of old returners and new Neenah girls and guys.  Each year I worry about adding new people to the group (I tend to get attached to my teams, as you've probably noticed), but all of this year's new additions were completely fabulous. Tomorrow the girls high school season starts.  I'm sure it will be fantastic, but before my focus shifts, I wanted to reflect one more time on the past 8 1/2 weeks.  

 I want you to know that I loved our summer together.  I love that we did new things together like DQ runs and our SuperHero movie marathon.  But I'm equally as glad that we carried on the team traditions, like Wheel of Wow, Manderfield's, Bring a Parent to Practice, the Obstacle Course, and the Open Water Challenge.
 
I love that we tried some new training techniques.  You guys were rock stars at the spin classes.  Those 3 hours of spin were pretty darn intense.  Colleen is still talking about how great you guys did.  You also showed Jan just how bendy you all are.
 Each of you got to train with tempo trainers this summer.  Some of you were fans, others not so much.
You all improved in so many ways.  You all got stronger.  Remember when 3 minute weight sets seemed impossible?

I know everyone came into this summer with different agendas and goals.  I hope you feel like you accomplished some of your goals along the way.
 More importantly, I hope you felt like you were part of something special.  Because trust me:  this group is filled with special people.  I hope you continue to support each other as you move away from summer swim.
 I have big hopes for you as you enter high school and college swim seasons.  But most of all, I hope you enjoy your swim season.  Because, really?  Swim team is way too hard if you can't find some fun along the way.
 Remember your little successes from this summer and strive for bigger ones this fall.
 Remember to look to each other if you need a friend.

Be good teammates.  Be good people. Give a little more than you take during the season.  Remember, you never know when you might be inspiring someone.

 Push yourself a little harder than you want to.  Take on a challenge.  I am confident that if you do, you will amaze yourself.  You're just those kinds of people.
Remember that the days are long, but the season is short.  Don't waste time.  Enjoy the moment.
 Also remember that you each have a very special place in my heart, and you always will.  You guys are why I coach.
 For those of you who do not swim for NHS, keep in touch.  Let us know how things are going for you, and know that even though you are not swimming for NHS, we still love and support you.
 Go out there and be fabulous.
Thanks for the memories.

XO,

Coach Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment