PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, January 30, 2014

What I Read {January 2014}

Hi Friends!

Yahoo!  I have already read so many good books in 2014!  I can't always remember where I get my book recommendations from, but I'm pretty sure at least half of these came from a "read this book before you see the movie" list, because a bunch of these are coming out in theaters in the next year.  I'm especially excited to see "Serena" because the book was excellent, and the movie stars Bradley Cooper (sans perm) and Jennifer Lawrence (who is always stellar).  

Here's what I read in January:


The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt (4 stars).  I loved this big, huge, epic novel.  Donna Tartt's writing is brilliant.  It has some of the best always-rings-true descriptions and insights.  The Goldfinch's love him/late him main character, Theo, and a whole cast of interesting minor characters help drive this book's tension to the very end.  I definitely need to go back and pull some quotes from this book.  It was that good. 
The Rosie Project, Graeme Simsion (4 stars).   Oh, Don, I loved you in the exact same way I adore Sheldon*.  You were quirky and exasperating, brilliant, yet comically obtuse.  The Rosie Project is a fun love story.  And yes, I read this entire book in Sheldon's voice--I couldn't help it.
The Husband's Secret, Liane Moriarty (3 stars).  Um.  I am so glad there are no skeletons in John's closet like the ones in Cecelia's attic.  This book definitely sucked me in right from the beginning and held my attention until the sad, unfortunate end.
The Girl You Left Behind, Jojo Moyes (3 stars).  This novel is divided into two parts--the past, and the present.  I really enjoyed the parts involving Sophie during WWI.  She was exactly the kind of tragic heroine adore.  Sophie was a character I found myself rooting for.  Modern day Liv was not as sharply drawn.  I kept wanting to get back to Sophie's story.
This is Where I Leave You, Jonathan Tropper (4 stars).  I simply adored this book about grown siblings brought together to sit Shiva after their father's death.  Every page rang true.  There is a whole cast of flawed but endearing characters, and the main character, Judd,  is probably the most flawed and endearing of them all.  This book captures screwy family dynamics at their very best.  The movie is sure to be awesome because it stars Justin Bateman as Judd, Tina Fey as his sister, Wendy, and Jane Fonda as his mom.  I can't wait to see it.
Odds Against Tomorrow, Nathaniel Rich (3 stars).  Anxiety-ridden Mitchell Zukor, a mathematical genius, is hired to predict worse-case-scenarios for a company called "Future World."  His whole life turns upside down when one of his predictions comes true.  This book is strange, in a good way.

Serena, Ron Rash (4 stars).  Oh, boy.  This book is for those who like a take-no-prisoners leading lady.  I can't wait to see how Jennifer Lawrence plays Serena.  Read this book.  Then plan to go see the movie.

Have you read any good books lately?  I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Happy Reading!

XO,
Vicki

*Sheldon from Big Bang Theory.  If you do not know who Sheldon is, we can't be friends.  Just kidding.  If you don't know who Sheldon is, you need to watch the Big Bang Theory from the beginning on Netflix.


No comments:

Post a Comment