Friday, February 28, 2014
It's Friday! Do you have fun plans for the weekend? My big plans fell through, so I'm a bit bummed, but I'm going to try and enjoy the weekend anyway. Ready for some links? Here's what caught my attention this week:
1. I'm not sure if it's because I'm still singing "Everything is Awesome!" weeks after I saw the (excellent!) Lego movie, but these pictures of a tiny, hip Lego photographer and his adventures make me happy.
2. Sunday I'll be front and center to watch the Academy Awards. The two best reasons to watch: Ellen and the gowns. Check out this awesome infographic of every Best Actress gown since 1929. It's amazing how many of these I remember.
3. I don't usually blog about my politics or religion on this blog, but this article completely captured how I feel about being a Christian and what went on in Arizona this week.
4. This recipe sounds so good. We're definitely giving it a try this weekend.
5. Pretty much the most amazing cake, ever.
Have a completely wonderful weekend!
Posted by Vicki at 11:06 AM
Thursday, February 27, 2014
I'm not sure where this month went, but I must have been busy, because I only read four books, which is pretty light for me. Here's what I read in February:
The House Girl, Tara Conklin (3 stars). I wanted to love this book, and I did, in parts. I loved everything about Josephine, the 17-year-old runaway slave and nothing about Lina's modern day plight. I wish the whole book was about Josephine.
Did you read anything amazing this month? Leave me a recommendation in the comments!
Posted by Vicki at 1:03 PM
Monday, February 24, 2014
Sorry I am late with this post--I completely lost control of my Sunday, and I didn't have a chance to play with my photos until this morning. I really struggled with finding purple this week. I think it was the hardest color so far. The flowers above were in a bouquet we got Maddie for the play. The one below was taken in Maddie's room.
Thanks for looking!
On to orange--my favorite!!
Posted by Vicki at 10:36 AM
Friday, February 21, 2014
I just spent a wonderful relaxing morning at brunch with some of my favorite Bible Study friends. The brunch was at Shari's lovely house which is nestled into the woods. It felt like we were at a retreat--it was just what I needed. When Shari offered to host our brunch, I assumed that we would all bring something and have a potluck, but Shari told us to just bring ourselves. I'm the first to admit that I am guilty of saying the exact same thing when I have people over, but that doesn't make it any easier for me to show up at someone's house empty-handed. I decided a little hostess gift was in order.
this. I tied on a little ribbon and added a corny (but heartfelt) little note, and voila--a sweet little hostess gift!
Posted by Vicki at 12:06 PM
Wednesday, February 19, 2014
The sun is shining, the snow has completely melted off of our driveway, and the kiddos have a half day of school--it's the most perfect Wednesday ever! I am celebrating by writing a few happy notes. What are you doing in your work space today?
Posted by Vicki at 1:56 PM
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
1. Today I brought my car into the dealership for an oil change.
2. Taking my car in for an oil change is one of my least favorite adult responsibilities.
3. Oil changes seem like they should be a guy chore.
4. My guy works all day.
5. I stay home all day.
6. That makes it really hard to justify asking John to take the car in for an oil change.
7. Every time I take my car in for a $39.00 oil change, they try to talk me into $300 worth of flushes.
8. Every time.
9. They are always very certain that I need all kinds of flushes.
10. And filters.
11. I always seem to need air filters.
12. I do not know what a cabin filter is, but today they told me I need one of those, in addition to the air filter.
13. One time I said "yes" to the flushes and filters.
14. John was not pleased.
15. No matter how many times they tell me I need filters and flushes, John disagrees.
16. In almost 22 years of marriage, I have never really needed a flush or filter, according to John.
17. I can't honestly say that the one time I did say "yes" to the flush and filter that my car ran any better.
18. When the guy came over to go over the results of my diagnostics tests, he had all kinds of flushes and filters listed under the "needs attention" section.
19. On top of the row of flushes and filters and prices were an additional set of prices.
20. The whole page was a mess of flushes and filters and prices.
21. The man was very grave while he explained everything.
22. I did a lot of nodding.
23. I did not understand a word of what he was saying.
24. I did some more nodding.
25. Once it seemed like he was done explaining the flushes and filters, I pursed my lips and pretended to consider things for a bit.
26. And then I repeated the sentence that John has had me practice over the years, "Hold on a second, I need to call my husband."
27. I then proceeded to fake-dial John and have a serious one-way conversation about all of the flushes and filters that my car needs.
28. I fake-nodded with my serious face and said, "Uh-huh" a lot.
29. Then I hung up and told the man I only wanted an oil change.
30. I'm not going to lie: the man looked pretty disappointed.
31. He gave it one more college try with the old, "Well, I can't guarantee that your check engine light won't come on if you don't do this" line.
32. I told him I would give his advice serious consideration.
33. I'm not sure he believed me.
34. I'm pretty sure he put a note in my file that said, "Don't even bother with the flushes and filter schpeel with this one."
35. Nothing would make me happier.
Posted by Vicki at 3:13 PM
Sunday, February 16, 2014
I can't believe I'm already done with four weeks of the Color/Colour challenge! This weeks' color, green, was fun to capture. I even managed to find a few outdoor shots. Here are my favorites from the week.
I love this project!
Posted by Vicki at 4:05 PM
Friday, February 14, 2014
Happy Valentine's Day, Friends!
Do you have special romantic plans? All three of my kids have a "special someone" in their lives right now, so it's a little bit hearts and happiness over here in the Terlap house today. John is taking a half day so we can celebrate. And by celebrate I mean we're going to sit on the couch together and snuggle while watching House of Cards. That plus red velvet cake balls = the perfect Valentine's Day.
1. I am so lucky to have a fantastic Valentine, but I love the idea of celebrating "Galentine's Day," too. Maybe next year, girlfriends.
2. Speaking of girlfriends, I may or may not have bought 10 packs of this gum to hand out when I see them being especially awesome.
3. This makes me want to make John a little mini book.
4. How often do you say, "I love you" to your loved ones? I'm definitely with Joanna on this one: the more the better!
5. I love the Olympics. I love the background stories, and I love watching the joy on the winners' faces. This article is about someone who came in 4th, but he may be one of the biggest winners of all.
Have a wonderful day!
Posted by Vicki at 11:32 AM
Thursday, February 13, 2014
Every now and then I get an overwhelming urge to entertain. I love opening up my home to friends and family. I love planning the table, figuring out the menu, and making the decorations. I love pulling out my wedding china and good crystal. Entertaining is a joy.
The first three photos were taken at a summer wedding shower featured on Julep. I love every single detail featured in those photos. The whole table just says, "sweet, lovely, and elegant" to me.
As soon as I saw those photos, I knew they would serve as the inspiration for my next party. It's been a while since I've gathered all the incredible women in my life together for a dinner party. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by so many fabulous girlfriends. I'm going to bring them together and celebrate friendship. I found this invite on Minted, and knew it would be perfect (isn't it gorgeous?):
I've already started planning some of the party details. How cute would these typography cookies look sitting on each lady's plate:
And I love these little tea poms. I really think it's the little details that make a party special.
PS Did you know that Minted also has a line of completely wonderful original artwork? I especially like both of these book-inspired prints.
PPS This post is sponsored by Minted, but all of the opinions are definitely my own!
Posted by Vicki at 1:14 PM
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Have I mentioned that I am completely enamored with vintage paper? I am. I really am. I love just about everything about vintage paper: the graphics, the fonts, the colors, the textures, the subtle shading that only occurs when paper ages for a while. It's all good!
Saturday Morning Vintage. Xenia's paper packs are the things that paper-lover dreams are made of. Many, but not all of the items in these pictures were purchased from her shop. My most recent purchase from Saturday Morning Vintage was the vintage Olympics stamps and skier prints. I absolutely love them. I've already used them in my Project Life pages.
Hello Forever. You can check out more work spaces over on
Posted by Vicki at 2:20 PM
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
time: 12:48 pm
weather: sunny, but COLD. The high today is 6 degrees.
drinking: a big cup of club soda.
eating: nothing at the moment, but I'm getting ready for lunch: turkey breast, almonds, and 1/2 orange.
thinking: about what I want to do for the kids and John for Valentine's Day.
needing: to give Buster a bath.
loving: brush scripting!! I am taking Kal Barteski's class this month. I will show you some of my art soon.
What are you up to right now?
Posted by Vicki at 12:58 PM
Monday, February 10, 2014
Are you ready for a whole bunch of Project Life goodness? I decided that this year I am going to post my Project Life pages once a month, instead of trying to do it every week. That way you can see our whole month at a glance. I had so much fun putting all of January's memories in my book. I love Project Life.
I ended up ringing in the new year down in Chicago. New Year's Eve was actually pretty quiet, but Mom, Dad, and I celebrated on the first by watching the Rose Bowl and munching on all the fabulous hors d'oeuvres (including that fabulous caviar!) that Tom, Tommy, and Christy dropped off the day before.
I made sure to include the famous "To-Do List" that I worked on all week while I was helping out. If mom asked me to do it, it went on the list. We had fun crossing each item off once we accomplished it. (It's the little things, right??). I also included a picture of my breakfast at the Diner. I love getting together with Tom, Tommy, Christy, and John at the Diner. Unfortunately, Tommy was working that day, so he wasn't with us.
Of course, I had to document the horrible bet:
The next week was full of birthday fun and a trip to Madison to watch the Illini play the Badgers:
I am completely in love with the color of Emily's Cotton Club dress, so I designed the whole next spread around it:
The next week was the first week of the Color/Colour challenge. I got so caught up in trying to find red things to photograph that I didn't take any pictures of my family at all!
That week was also testing week at CrossFit. I got all personal bests!
The last week in January I made sure to take at least one picture of everybody! : ) I love the pictures of the girls in their footie pajamas. Those footie pajamas make me ridiculously happy. They just look so darn cute in them:
And there you have it: all of January is in the books! On to February!
Thanks for looking!
Posted by Vicki at 11:13 AM