PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

From the Archives {Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies}

Hi Friends,

Happy April Fool's Day!  I didn't plan any April Fool's Day pranks, but Maddie sure did--she went off to school today with a pack of Oreos stuffed with toothpaste.  Yuck and yuck.  In honor of Maddie's prank, I dug out a much better way to use Oreos from my blog archives.  I used to bake cookies to send overseas to a friend serving in Afganistan.  They all loved these Oreo-stuffed Chocolate Chip cookies.  Enjoy!

Hi Friends!
Feel like baking today?  Well, have I got a recipe for you!  Last week I spent a whole bunch of time in the kitchen being a baking goddess.  Whenever I bake for the troops, I try to take into consideration what will travel well and taste good once it arrives (it usually takes around 2 weeks for packages to arrive).  Things like lemon bars and other gooey/soft things don’t ship as well as cookies and chocolate covered pretzels.  I always send a big batch of my *famous* chocolate chip cookies (because everybody likes good old American chocolate chip cookies, right?!?), but this time I decided to make some stuffed chocolate chip cookies, too.  I’m not sure who came up with the idea of wrapping two chocolate chip cookies around an Oreo cookie, but I’m pretty sure whoever it was is pretty much a baking goddess, too.  : )  These cookies are not for the faint of heart–they’re literally a triple-decker cookie wrapped into one.  On the other hand, if you’re serving our country in the middle of a desert in Afghanistan, you probably deserve a big treat every now and again, right?  : )
Here’s a peak at the inside:
I pulled three of these big boys aside and put them in the cookie jar for my kids.  I didn’t tell them about the Oreo hidden inside.  Of course, they were kind of stunned (and delighted) at the sheer size of the cookie, and then they were a little puzzled about why there was an Oreo in the  middle.  The stuffed cookies got a bunch of thumbs up, and now everyone is requesting all kinds of other things to be stuffed inside.  John wants me to try a clump of peanut butter next.  I’m not sure how that will hold up, but I’m willing to give it a try. 
Want to make your own?  Here’s my *famous* chocolate chip recipe, which you can just make on its own if you’d like.
Vicki’s Super-Good Chocolate Chip Cookies
Preheat oven to 375
In your mixer bowl, combine:
3/4 C sugar
3/4 C. packed brown sugar
1 C. butter flavored Crisco
Beat on high for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy. 
Add:
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Beat for 2 more minutes.
In a separate bowl,  combine:
2 1/4 C flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
Add flour mixture slowly to sugar mixture.  Once all the flour is in, beat the whole mixture for about a minute.
Stir in  1/2 bag of chocolate chips and 1/2 bag of mini chocolate chips.
Drop by scoopfuls (I use my Pampered Chef medium scoop) onto greased cookie sheets.
Bake 9-11 minutes until golden brown.  Let cookies sit on sheet for 2 minutes after you take them out of the oven.  Remove to cooling racks.
Now, if you want to make the stuffed version, you make the dough, scoop out two balls and gently mold them around an Oreo cookie.  I kind of pinched the ends together until they were sealed.  It took a few extra minutes to bake the stuffed cookies.  Plan on 11-13 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Enjoy the yummy goodness, friends!
Happy Baking!
XO,
Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment