PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Book Report: March 2015

Hi Friends,

Oh, boy.  I read some weird books in March.  I tend to collect recommendations from all over the place and when I see a good book recommendation, I immediately put the book on hold at the library. Sometimes I'm lucky (like in February) and I get a month's worth of good reading.  Other times, I end up reading some odd books.  This month's books weren't all bad--none of them were awful--but I didn't fall in love with any of these books.  Here's what I read in March:
The King's Curse, Philippa Gregory (3 1/2 stars).  This was, by far, my favorite book of the month. I am a big Philippa Gregory fan---she is definitely the queen of historical fiction.  This book centered around lady-in-waiting Margaret Pole and her unique view of King Henry VIII’s stratospheric rise to power in Tudor England.  
Friendswood, Rene Steinke (3 1/2 stars).  The writing in this book is so, so good.  The story lines are so, so sad.  Small town Texas characters and drama.
The Good Girl, Mary Kubica (3 stars).  Girl gets kidnapped, something happens, and then she returns home remembering nothing and answering to a different name.  (No spoilers--this happens in the first chapter).  What I won't tell you is how this one ends.  I literally didn't see it coming, not even a little bit.
Unbecoming, Rebecca Scherm (3 stars).  Hmm.  It's rare that I read a book where I can't find a single character that I like.  The story is good.  The people in the story drove me a little bit batty.
The Fever, Megan Abbott (2 stars).  This book just creeped me out.  The whole thing just felt murky. Teenage girls mysteriously affected by some type of something that causes them to have seizures.  No one seems to know what is causing it.  Is it drugs?  The stagnant lake?  A vaccination?  Maybe it's because I have teenage daughters, but I just wanted them to find the cause and tie everything up neat and tidy and get on with life.

What did you read this month?

XO,

Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment